What is Ratatouille? (rah/tah/too/ee)
Ratatouille is a vegetable stew from the Provence region of France. It is made of eggplant, zucchini, tomato, onion, garlic, and seasonings, usually basil and thyme. The ingredients are cooked together until tender, or they may be cooked separately and then combined. Ratatouille can be served hot or cold as an appetizer or side dish.
Vegan Ratatouille Inspired Pasta
Yields 3-4 servings
320 g Kaslo Sourdough Light Spelt Pasta or your favorite gluten free pasta
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 small eggplant, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
1. In a bowl, toss chopped onion, carrots, eggplant, zucchini and garlic with melted coconut oil.
2. Season with oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
3. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
4. In a medium sauce pot, boil water with a scant of salt.
5. Add pasta and cook until desired firmness (5-8 minutes).
6. Drain pasta and add tomato sauce and cooked vegetables.
7. Stir until combined. Serve.
*Tip- if the skin of the zucchini is tough, I recommend peeling it!