Sunday mornings are when I have time to relax and make one of my favourite breakfast meals, pancakes! Pancake recipes are versatile and are easy to change ingredients to fit your specific dietary needs (gluten free, dairy free, etc).
Some gluten free flours can leave a gritty texture or an unappealing aftertaste so I like to use oat flour as it has a similar consistency to regular wheat flour. The easiest way to make oat flour is to grind oats in your food processor or blender. Source certified gluten-free oats like Bob’s Red Mill, to avoid cross-contamination of gluten containing grains.
Gluten is what holds the flour together when baking, essentially it’s the ‘glue’. Gluten-free grains don’t have this ‘glue’ therefore you have to add it to your baking. A teaspoon of xantham gum, ground flax seeds, ground chia seeds, or eggs are great binders to any recipe.
The creaminess from the coconut cream adds a decadent touch combined with the triple berry compote. It tastes so delicious, you wouldn’t think this would be a healthy breakfast meal!
Coconut Pancakes with Triple Berry Compote and Coconut Cream
Yields 10 pancakes
1 1/4 cup oat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (tetra pack like Coconut Dream or Silk)
2 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar
Triple Berry Compote
2 cups mixed berries
1 tablespoons arrowroot powder mixed with 1/4 cup water
1 can Thai Coconut Milk, refrigerated*
- Combine oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, ground flax seeds and coconut into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together coconut milk, egg, raw apple cider vinegar, and coconut oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the flour mixture. Let sit for 5 minutes for the flax seeds to thicken the batter.
- Meanwhile, prepare berry compote. Using a medium sauce pot, add berries and a tablespoon of water. Heat on medium heat. Mash berries with a potato masher to create a unifying consistency. combine arrowroot powder with water and add to berry compote. Stir until thickened and remove from heat.
- Heat a skillet to medium, and add 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until bubbles start showing through, flip pancake and cook until golden brown.
- Serve with berry compote and coconut cream.
*Place a full fat can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Open the can upside down and drain the coconut water or use for another recipe. Use the coconut cream to top off your pancakes.
Click to download and save or print for your recipe box: Coconut Pancakes with Triple Berry Compote and Coconut Cream